Calvary Assembly of God
Bringing Faith, Hope and Love to Life ~ 2600 Shipley Road, Wilmington, Delaware 19810 ~ 302-478-1275
Praying the Lord's Prayer
Matthew 6:9-13 offers some of the best-known words in Christianity - Jesus’ model prayer. The new year is a wonderful time to contemplate the life-giving relationship with our Heavenly Father made possible by the gift of His Son and outlined in the Son’s prayer.
Notice, Jesus said, “Our Father.” We approach God not just as individuals, but in relationship with Jesus and with others in the family of God. Ephesians 3:14,15 tells us the whole church family in heaven and earth is named after the Father.
God is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ through whom He becomes our Father. As Galatians 4:3-6 tells us, Christ’s redemption brings to us adoption as sons and heirs with Christ. Through Christ, we are able to say “Abba, Father.” We are able to approach Him as our dear Father.
Who art in heaven
Our Heavenly Father is in heaven as well as on earth. His divine plan, as described in Revelation, is to bring heaven and earth together.
God made heaven and earth and all things in them. He did this through Christ: “[Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things have been created by Him and for Him” (Colossians 1:15-17).
Hallowed be Thy name
We are to hallow, or recognize as holy, the precious name of the Father, as well as the Son and Holy Spirit.
Holiness is a primary attribute of the Father. The Father expects us to reflect His holiness (1 Peter 1:15,16). This can only be done through the Lord Jesus Christ: “You are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption” (1 Corinthians 1:30).
Thy kingdom come
The kingdom of God (or of heaven) comes when the King comes. In His first coming, the kingdom of God came in grace: “The grace of God has appeared bringing salvation to all men” (Titus 2:11). We need to be praying for the kingdom of grace to come to all men that they might be saved through Christ.
The kingdom of God will come in glory in Christ’s second coming: “Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus” (Titus 2:13). In preparation for that coming, we “deny ungodliness and worldly desires and … live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age” (Titus 2:12).
Thy will be done
As Jesus gives His disciples these words, He is fully aware that one day He will be saying them in the Garden of Gethsemane: “My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Thy will be done” (Matthew 26:42).
Hebrews 10:5-7, quoting Psalm 40:6-8, gives us a conversation between the Son and His Father as He prepares to enter our world and take upon himself our humanity: “A body Thou hast prepared for me. ... Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come … to do Thy will, O God.’”
What greater example could we find for our lives than that of the submitted Son of God, our Lord Jesus Christ?
On earth as it is in heaven
Earth is out of harmony with the will of God. But one day, God’s will will be complete on earth. O the joy when earth becomes like heaven: no more sin, sickness, disease, pain or death. Today, may we fully pursue the will of God on earth.
Give us this day our daily bread
The Lord’s daily provision is for body, soul and spirit. He is concerned about our physical, spiritual and emotional health. Because He desires “that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers” (3 John 2), we should look to Christ’s atonement for all of our needs - body, soul and spirit. There is nothing about our lives - our work, our home, our family - that we should not seek the canopy of His grace and blessing to cover.
And forgive us our debts
True repentance and confession of sins has the promise of forgiveness and cleansing from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). But then we are to “walk in the light as He Himself [Jesus] is in the light” which brings fellowship with other believers and the assurance that “the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7).
As we also have forgiven our debtors
Nothing shows we are truly forgiven as does our attitude and relationship with others. Jesus gave a parable of a man who was forgiven a great debt but went out and refused to forgive one in debt to him. For this unforgiving attitude he lost his forgiveness (Matthew 18:21-35). We must keep in mind that our relationship to others greatly affects our relationship with God.
Do not lead us into temptation
“The Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation” (2 Peter 2:9), so we need not live in fear. But Jesus addresses our own heart attitude and tells us to wisely seek the Father that we not be led into temptation. Let us so heed our Master’s admonition.
But deliver us from evil [the evil one]
We know that behind what is evil is the evil one, Satan. So we must pray often to be delivered from the schemes and plans of the devil himself who desires to hurt Christ by hurting Christ’s people.
We must keep in mind that “greater is He who is in [us] than he who is in the world” (1 John 4:4). We must also keep the words of James in our minds: “Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you” (James 4:7).
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen!
God’s kingdom of light has come to defeat the kingdom of darkness (John 1:5). It is the kingdom of God’s dear Son (Colossians 1:13) versus the kingdom of the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4). It is a kingdom of “righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit” (Romans 14:17). It is an eternal kingdom that will never end (Revelation 22:5). Praise God! Amen!
- Matthew 6:9-13 (New American Standard Bible) "9 Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. 10 Your kingdom come Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]' "
- Matthew 6:9-13 (King James Version) "9 After this manner therefore pray ye: 'Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.' "
- Matthew 6:9-13 (New International Version) "9 This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' "
- Ephesians 3:14-15 "14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name."
- Galatians 4:3-6 "3 So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. 4 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5 to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. 6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.' "
- Colossians 1:15-17 "15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."
- 1 Peter 1:15-16 " 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
- 1 Corinthians 1:30 "30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption."
- Titus 2:11-13 "11For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ..."
- Matthew 26:42 "42 He went away a second time and prayed, 'My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.' "
- Hebrews 10:5-7 "5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: 'Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; 6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. 7 Then I said, 'Here I am - it is written about me in the scroll - I have come to do your will, O God.' "
- Psalm 40:6-8 " '6 Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced; burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.' 7 Then I said, 'Here I am, I have come - it is written about me in the scroll. 8 I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.' "
- 3 John 1:2 (New American Standard Bible) "2 Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers."
- 1 John 1:9 "9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
- 1 John 1:7 "7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."
- Matthew 18:21-35 "The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant: 21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?' 22 Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. 23 Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt. 26 The servant fell on his knees before him.' 'Be patient with me,' he begged, 'and I will pay back everything.' 'The servant's master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. 28 But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii. He grabbed him and began to choke him.' 'Pay back what you owe me!' he demanded. 29 His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, 'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.' 30 'But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were greatly distressed and went and told their master everything that had happened. 32 Then the master called the servant in. 'You wicked servant,' he said, 'I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?' 34 In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. 35 This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.' "
- 2 Peter 2:4-9 "4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons[b] to be held for judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6 if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men 8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard) - 9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment."
- 1 John 4:4 "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."
- James 4:7 "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
- John 1:5 "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."
- Colossians 1:13 "For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves..."
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 "The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."
- Romans 14:17 "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit..."
- Relenation 22:5 "There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever."
Article Source: http://pe.ag.org/Articles2009/4988_Lords_Prayer.cfm - with additional web formatting, videos and verses added.
Original article by James K. Bridges, who served as general treasurer of the Assemblies of God from 1993 to 2008.
Bible Verses by Topics
Armor of God
- Blessings, Body of Christ
- Challenges, Character, Cheerful, Christmas, Comedy, Communication, Credibility
Faith Healing, Fear, Forgiveness,
Fruit of the Spirit
Greatest Commandment, Great Commission
- Health, Heaven, Hell,
House of Prayer, Humility
- Joy, Judging Others
Life Purpose, Listen,
Lord's Prayer, Love
- Mary's Song, Momentum, Mentoring, Money, Music Videos
- Parable of the Talents, Peace, Perseverance, Possessions, Praise, Prayer, Pride, Priorities
- Reading the Bible,
Run with God
Speech, Spirit, Strength, Sword of the Spirit
Testing the Spirits, Thanksgiving, Tithe, Trust, Trust in God, Truth
- Victory, Vision
- Wisdom, Work